Saturday 23 April 2011

Bank Holiday weekend and Martin Jamieson

This weekend some of us from Anchorage are camping out at Bugbrooke Chapel during the alive weekend. Guys downstairs in the Chapel itself, ladies in the upper room. That takes me back to when I was about 16 or 17 and I was going with a group of other young people to the lake district. For some reason we stayed overnight in a Church hall in London (I was living in the south of England at the time). Lads were one end of this hall, girls the other with a generous number of responsible adults to make sure there was no hanky panky. Sleeping on the floor has never been conducive to restful nights and the floor was making aggressive moves towards my hip bone. I was next to my friend Jamie. Suddenly in the half light we saw a sleeping bag from the girls side kind of wriggling across the room. It was one of the girls who had taken a fancy to my friend. I think that she thought people would think she was sleep rolling. When she was a few yards away, Jamie said "I'm off" and headed towadrs the toilets. I sat up and said to the girl "we have been watching your progress with interest". Then an adult intervened and that was that fun over. I do not expect we shall have anything like that level of excitement at the chapel. i wonder if the girl (who would now be mid 50's) remembers it with embarrassment. Jamie has changed his name (no connection!) still in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment