Thursday 12 May 2011

Keeping it simple

I am tidying up around my desk today. I have worked in office environments most of my working life. Here are a few tips I would like to pass on.
1. Don't hang on to stuff you dont need; don't accumulate more. The thought that something may come in useful sometimes stops me throwing it away. I will now open one of my desk drawers and share the contents with you:
Sony 5V A.C. adaptor (don't know what it is for). Pair of gardening gloves. Small jar of tiger balm. Pack of blu tac. 3 musical cigarette lighters. 23 AA batteries. 3 AAA Batteries. 38mm (obsolete) table tennis ball. Halogen light bulb (bayonet fitting). Elastic wrist support. Several red biros. Assorted sticky labels (3 kinds) Small note book. Jotting pad. Several miscellaneous keys.Tube of all purpose adhesive. Several plastic coin bags. Ruler. Box of staples. Bike cable lock with no key. Various screws and bolts.2 packs from training I have been on.Jesus army red cross. Coventry benefits advice line coaster.Some post - it notes. 2 pieces of string. This is only a small drawer! I will be sorting it out, promise.
2. Don't worry about throwing stuff away (I really do this, honest). many years ago I worked in a job where the person before me had allowed a lot of queries to build up. After a few months I threw the whole lot away. I never had any come back. The important stuff was simply chased again.
3. Don't keep a master copy folder of forms. Print them from the computer as you need them, you will invariably do this anyway and then have a load of forms gathering dust.
4. Keep desk space as clear as you can.


If you think my drawer contents are a bit weird, try looking in yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment