Sunday 30 January 2011

Can you forgive me?

I was in a place today where I encountered a person who has not spoken to me for about ten years although we used to be friends. I would not say that I have made any major attempts to effect a reconciliation, however most of the people who fell out with me ten years ago have got over it. This person has not. Although I do not feel that I have hardened my conscience by not seeking a reconciliation more doggedly, I remain quite frustrated that someone with the same beliefs and even the same basic aims as me makes a rapid detour every time they see me coming. Surely this is not the way it should be?

It is not up to me to govern how much forgiveness for my many shortcomings is granted by other people. You can't please all the people all of the time so there could well be a store of  resentments towards me simmering away from various people I have "jiggered" in some way. I don't think about it that much.

Yesterday whilst driving towards Birmingham City Centre, I heard a bang behind me. Two cars, one the inevitable taxi had collided. I was a few yards away by the time it occurred but I wondered for a second if that collision was the result of something I had done. I am sure it was not but there are situations where a vehicle causes a crash and escapes without damage. Just supposing I had done something to cause that prang, how would they have felt about it and would my knowledge of insurance claims kept me from apologising were the opportunity presented to me?

So what do I do? I guess I pray that God speaks to that person who holds the grudge or dissapproval or whatever it is so they feel able to let me off the hook for my past sins. Then maybe they will be able to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment