Friday 28 January 2011

Dualism

This is not about pistols at 10 paces. I believe it is the theory that we can have two personalities fighting for ascendency within us at any one time. Generally Christians don't believe in it and say that any slip up that occasionally happens is to do with our old nature/ former manner of life habits kicking in rather than two natures coexisting within a person. Some people may call that splitting hairs. The question in Romans chahter 6 "How can we who have died to sin continue to live in it?" is a very good one. People who point to the twin natures theory may well ask: "if God owns your life now (with your consent) how can you still think and do bad stuff?"

Personally I struggle to answer those sort of questions. I don't think I have two personalities cohabiting me body but I do frustrate myself pretty often. Who is frustrating whom?

2 comments:

  1. 'Mere Christianity' by C.S Lewis explores Dualism a bit, it's a pretty clear & helpful comparison of Dualism against Christian theology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people talk about the 3 inner voices: the flesh, the voice of God, and the enemy. I tend to agree with this stance since I know that, when I'm praying for instance, the enemy is particularly keen to distract me with ungodly thoughts, not solely attributable to the flesh.

    ReplyDelete