Sunday 19 December 2010

Another Sunday

Today was a bit different. Because of the weather we had both meetings at home. The advantage of that was of course reduced travelling and the minus was that I took the morning meeting. I spoke about God's enormous heart towards us. Just recently I have been experienceing a bit of a U - turn in my thinking. It was brought about by reading "The Shack" which is the kind of literature (if you can call it that) that I usually run a mile from. After I read it I thought all the stuff that I usually do bascically that it was a bit over the top. A day or two after finishing it, I was praying and a part of the book came back vividly to me. It was about judgement, more particularly about us judging God. The merits of the book are open to discussion but this thought it has provoked in me crys out for my attention and the question I have had to ask myself is this: How much of my veiw of what God is like is based on my own ideas? I think it may have suited me to carry the "good people go to heaven, bad people go to hell" theory because the alternative is that each person is precious, loved by God and that knowledge demands a response not of condemnation but of grace. Grace is dangerous because it takes us into the unknown. My conclusion (about God) is that he is much much larger than I have ever allowed myself to realise, because I saw him as a kind of schoolmaster/policeman type.As the day continued there was a lot of opportunity to show grace and also a lot of opportunity to be cynical about other people.

2 comments:

  1. Good again.
    Technical comment - uzse paragraphs to break it up and to signal 'this is the next point'.
    And read it back to yourself, because you have made some mistakes that hinder the read/flow.
    And a picture can enhance the 'message'. Such as a shack??

    ReplyDelete