Friday 24 December 2010

Golden moments

Yesterday evening before tea some of us were washing up in the kitchen. Suddenly everything came alive there were people dryingup people putting stuff in cupboards and two small children getting involved and generally having a good time. Afterwards I realised that for no apparent reason I had experienced a golden moment when everything was just good. My mother has a special "red letter day" book and when something good happens she will write in it, often after doing something enjoyable she will say that she plans to make an entry.

What makes things memorable? Someone recounted a memorable event to me as shared by a mutual friend. I am pretty sure I must have been there but have no recollection of it.

As a young man I played football for the local second eleven yes Lower Willingdon second team. As a full back I did not get many scoring opportunities and I remember each of my four goals (The one that went through the goalies hands, the one that skimmed off my head but was probably going in anyway, the one that I thought had gone over the bar there being no net and the one where one on one with the full back he miss kicked and I was through on goal, scoring in low in the bottom hand corner). That was 37 years ago. Why remember that stuff?

Golden moments, God's gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment