Friday 31 December 2010

Back on the road again.

The snow has cleared, so this morning I donned the running kit and Gary and I took to the roads for the first time in three weeks. Gary is a co- resident at the Anchorage and in the 80's was a pretty serious runner. Although various distractions took the edge off him for some years he is still way above my level, but without any desire to compete. So I jog along and he, without any effort, floats along beside me chatting. Company is great when you are running because it spurs you on to do that little bit extra. The course is three and a quarter miles (well 3.26 if you want to be picky), through Handsworth Park. This was my first run for three weeks, having looked out of the window at the snow several times recently and decided not to go out.

It feels good to be doing it again. As I have siad before on this blog, running mirrors life. Jsus talked about the second mile, that referred to the Roman occupational soldiers being able to get individuals from the conquered nation to carry various things for them. Jesus says "if they force you to go one mile, do another one as well" (another blow to human rights!). What is the second mile for me? That's not an easy question because I know what the bible says and I could do extra because I have got to and if I don't I am a bad Christian and get no reward because I am a whinger and it is all a waste of time. Help!

What Jesus is saying by this is not "this is how to qualify" but "I am introducing you to a new way of thinking, a way that will lift you and others out of the grabbing selfish adverarial kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light". Goodbye self - thinking, hello love - thinking.

1 comment:

  1. very good - maybe join you on a run one of these days. I mean, wheezy jog (me)

    ReplyDelete