Thursday 30 December 2010

Risk

I am not a natural risk taker and when I have taken risks in the past, because I am working against my basic character, it hasn't always had a good outcome. I am not talking about stupid risks like weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. That is not risk but recklessness. To me the word has the meaning that the result is not certain, it's one thing or the other, the higher the risk the less chance of the desired result.

I love the phrase "calculated risk" because it means that we have weighed up the possibilities and resolved to act. In that situation the result does not matter as much because at least there has been action and determination. Doing nothing is both high and low risk you do nothing you gain nothing. Result?

The saying "Faith spelt R-I-S-K". is nonsense. Faith is different. Faith is putting your trust in God, risk is putting your trust in your own judgement (or at times the judgement of others).

Taking risks that others have instigated is another issue. Should we? Not without a lot of consideration. I quote from Alice Cooper:

What have I done to deserve such a fate
I didn't want to get involved in this thing.
Someone handed me this gun and I....
I gave it everything.

(Killer c. 1972)

No comments:

Post a Comment